Friday, July 22, 2011

This is Why

I am a stay at home mom and you wouldn't believe the varying looks I get from people when they find out.  They can range from sheer adoration down to utter sympathy and fear.  I have been asked through words people have spoken and words people have not spoken why I stay home.  Well, the answer to that question is a really simple one, I love my kids so much that I am willing to give up the things the world has to offer me for a much greater cause. 

Being a SAHM is not an easy job and many times I find myself questioning my sanity, but when I see my children grow and progress in their lives it is all worth it.  I don't get monitary recognition (other than my sweethearts paycheck.  :-)  and I don't get awards or certificates of congratulations.  What I get is the ability to be a part of building the future of my family, church and country each and every day.

There are many articles and lists out there of the varied hats that a mother wears and believe you me I have worn most of them.  However, each of those hats have taught me something but mostly they have taught me that I am never done learning and growing right along with my children.

I was a nanny for about a year and what I saw from those kids taught me a lot.  I loved them and I believe they loved me, but when it came right down to it, nothing was more precious to them than being with their Mom.  The nights when she would put them to bed would take twice as long because they just wanted time with her and enjoyed having her attention. 

Now, their mother is a wonderful woman and loves her children deeply, but the path she chose was not one I wanted.  She always felt inadequate because she wasn't practicing law anymore, due to medical complications with her twins, and she always had to find some project to do to keep her busy.  The sad part was, the greatest project of all that she could be a part of she couldn't see.  

Now, I have to say this, I know that there are many Mom's out there who need to work for varying reasons and I admire all that they do to try and keep their family's going on top of all else they need to do.  I was raised by a working mom who worked hard to keep our family going, right along side of my Dad.  She always did everything she could to make sure she was there for us kids and she was.  I also have a sister who is raising her children on her own while holding down a very demanding job.  All that she goes through and sacrifices for her family leaves me in awe and I admire her strength and determination.  So no, I don't believe working moms are horrible people, quite the opposite actually.   

I have been asked if I will get a job when my youngest is in school but I have to say no.  My kids are getting older and even though they won't be home as often I need to be there even more to create an environment for them where they can find the peace and love they need to get them through their days.  If the day comes when I need to go to work then I will cross that bridge when I get there, but for now I am going to enjoy the moments (even the pull your hair out ones) that I am blessed with each and every day. 

When asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I always said a mom...guess some things never change in 20+ years!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. Love you Sarah! I agree with you 100%. I wish with all my heart that I could have YOUR job instead of my own.

    ReplyDelete